Friday, July 18, 2008

Trust Fund Babies?



(Image from noggin.com)

I was watching Oswald the other day with my son. In this episode, Oswald is making a birdhouse. His friends all kept giving unsolicited advice as far was what he needed to put on the birdhouse. So he gussied up his birdhouse with polkadots, bells and flowers, but the birds were actually turned off by all the extra 'amenities' he put in. In the end he realizes that a plain and simple birdhouse was all he needed. I'm sure there are very valuable lessons in the show that my son probably could have picked up on. (Oh, like maybe the US is in a recession and that it's a buyers' market? No?) The thing that bothers me is that he went to the hardware store three times to purchase supplies for the extra 'amenities'. Yes, he paid the hardware store clerk each time, but what I asked myself is "Where does he get all that money?" Oswald does not have a job, nor do any of his friends (except the hardware store clerk, of course). What is my son supposed to glean from this? That they are all trust fund babies? Like Paris Hilton? Or maybe they get their money from being on a 'reality' show?

Oswald airs back-to-back episodes on the Noggin channel every weekday at 11 am.

1 comment:

annechovie said...

Hmm, interesting to ponder! Thanks for your visit and comment.